Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Canadian Law And The Web Part 1: Accessability

I have a mild interest in law and how it affects me. I have been working with technology for most of my life and there is still not much I can find about how the law relates to what we do in everyday cases. In a series of posts I am going to make I will talk about some of them.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer and the following guides are for information only. They should not be treated as legal advice. Contact a lawyer for any legal questions you might have. Don't play with fire. It is hot. You might get burned. Yada yada yada.

Accessability:

From what I could find there is no laws about enabling your website for disabled persons. You might think of this as a good thing but just becuase there is not a law specifically for something means that another one can be adapted to it.

For instance:
Section 15 of the Canadian Charters of Rights and Freedom(http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/) state that "every individual is equal before the law"
Section 5 of the Canadian Human Rights Act state that access to goods or services can not be denied on the basis of descrimination

The Human Rights Act also states that descrimination is unacceptable wether it is intentional or not.

Basically this sums up to: "ignorance is not an excuse" and "brick and mortar law" could be applied to the the internet in this case. I am going to recommend that you try to ensure that you make websites as available as possible to the public.

Here is the W3s guide on website accessability: http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/

Honestly, reading through the guide has a lot of helpfull tips even for designing a website for the general public as well and it does not take that much extra time to develop with.

(most information for this article was found here: http://www.zvulony.com/accessibility.html)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home